Selling a home is a complex process but, if you plan it the right way, you can sell your home for top dollar. Here are 8 steps that can make the home selling process manageable and help you make your home as sellable as possible.
1. De-clutter. The number one thing I tell my clients is to de-clutter and store items they don't use on a daily basis. The way we sell a home is different than the way we live in our homes. We don't want to distract potential clients from wanting to purchase your home with your belongings.
2. Set the stage. After you clear out the clutter, consider re-arranging furniture in a way that more inviting. Just because the TV is above the fireplace doesn't mean you need your couch to face it. Open up the room by moving it to an adjacent wall.
3. Paint. One of the easiest ways to increase interest in your home is to paint with neutral-tone paint colors. Just because you love that deep burgundy accent wall doesn't mean the potential buyer will. Also light and neutral colors have a way of opening up the space to make it seem bigger than it is. Also consider painting the outside of your home as well, or at least power washing it to look fresh and new.
4. Landscaping. Clear out any clutter, dead weeds, or eye-sores from your front and back yards. Use drought tolerant plants to entice buyers with saving money on their water bill, and save on time with less maintenance plants.
5. Paperwork. When we go over paper-work for listing your home, disclose, disclose, disclose. The more details we tell potential buyers about your home the better. Had a leak you fixed back in 1998? Lets tell the buyers about it. The more they know the less surprises there will be (and less risk for future lawsuits).
6. Research. Do some research. See what else is out there for sale. Go to a few local open houses. Make a list of what you liked or didn't like about the home, and then make necessary changes to give your home an edge.
7. Final touches. Go over everything once more to make sure all our our T's are crossed and our I's are dotted. We only get one chance to make a first impression, so lets make it impactful! 8. Find a Realtor you love. Call your local realtor (me!) to help you with everything you need to do to prepare your home for sale to get top dollar for it. According to the National Association Of realtors, people who used a real estate agent sold their homes for 25.88%* more than those who sold their homes FSBO (for sale by owner).